Study Circles Cooperative Educator
Compensation: $26,000 annual salary (hourly equivalent $25/hr)
Summary of benefits: $400/month ICHRA allocation; $50/month cell phone or internet reimbursement; paid holidays; accrual paid time off policy
Time Commitment: This is an exempt, part-time (17-20 hours per week), grant funded position being offered through December 2024
Location: Remote; supply your own computer, phone, workspace
- Note: Due to COVID-19, this position is 100% remote right now. Once it is deemed safe and sound to return to in-person engagements, PACA will return to its normal operations, which involve a mix of remote and in-person work. Candidates must live in the Greater Philadelphia region or be willing to relocate here.
Preferred Start Date: August 29, 2022 (some flexibility available if needed)
*scroll to the end for application instructions.
#1 Curriculum Development
Summary: PACA’s Study Circles Cooperative Development program contains two program tracks - Study and Technical Assistance for Cooperatives (Incubation). In September 2022, the Study track of the Study Circles program will begin. Over the course of six months, four groups of community members from around the Philadelphia area will participate in in-depth study to learn more about how cooperative enterprises can lead to more equitable economic outcomes from public and community spaces in their communities.
- Develop relevant cooperative education curricula for four Study groups in collaboration with selected program cohort groups, ranging from co-op 101, to group dynamics, to participatory decision making, to co-op models, etc.
- Distribute curriculum materials to four Study cohort groups
- Develop and distribute suggested additional study materials list to four Study cohort groups
#2 Meeting Facilitation
Summary: The Cooperative Educator will facilitate bi-weekly study meetings with four Study cohort groups based on the study curricula. Meeting times will be determined by each group’s preferred availability. Ideal candidates will be available to work weekday evenings based on groups’ preferred meeting schedules.
- Coordinate meeting schedule with four selected Study cohort groups based on each group’s availability
- Facilitate bi-weekly cooperative study meetings with four selected Study cohort groups
#3 Program Coordination Support
Summary: The Cooperative Educator will support Study Circles program lead on coordination of study group meetings and program events.
- Distribute curriculum material order forms to groups as needed, provide groups with regular program materials budget updates
- Distribute reimbursement request forms for meeting expenses as needed, provide groups with regular program materials budget updates
- Research and conduct outreach to guest speakers and facilitators to support study groups as needed based on program budget allocations
- Maintain communication with contracted program support, including guest speakers and facilitators, interpreters, translators, etc.
- Attend and staff Study Circles virtual launch and closing events
- Document study group and program progress through intermittent communications (ie blog posts and social media posts)
- Distribute and mid program and final program evaluations
#4 Part-time employment as part of the Staff Collective
PACA is organized in Circles of work. Full-time members and part-time members of the Staff Collective have different expectations and responsibilities in regards to PACA’s governance and management. We have shifted our internal structures to enable more worker self-direction and reflect our cooperative values more deeply. As a member of this cooperative space, this role will be expected to:
- Participate in the Co-op Development circle
- Attend quarterly ½ day staff retreats
- Provide feedback regarding organizational development
- Offer input and feedback on Annual Collective Budgeting
- Optional attendance to Quarterly General Circle meetings
- Strong alignment with the mission, vision and values of PACA, and commitment to centering Black and Brown communities of the Philadelphia region
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated experience of written and oral presentation skills
- Experience with social group work and meeting facilitation
- Experience with program coordination support
- Sincere commitment to democratic collaboration and cooperation, with experience working in cooperatives and across multiple groups (staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters)
- Strong knowledge of current small business, economic development and workforce development programs, players and providers in the Philadelphia area
- Strong knowledge of public and community space development initiatives and groups in North, Northwest, Southwest, West, South Philadelphia and the surrounding region.
- Multilingual applicants encouraged
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of August 5, 2022. PACA strongly encourages working class BIPOC, queer and trans folks, disabled people, women, and people raised in the Philadelphia area to apply.
Wondering what to include in the cover letter? Here are some things we’d like to know about you! Let these questions inspire you, not limit what you share about yourself and why you want this job at PACA.
- What excites you most about PACA?
- What role have you held in the past that you sense is most similar to this role or what life experiences have you had that you sense have prepared you most for this role?
- What experience and skills - professional and/or otherwise - do you most look forward to using in this job?
- If you had this job, what would you want to learn about?