For more information, including how to apply, please see our complete job description here.
Interested applicants please send materials by April 22, 2022.
Overview of role:
The Operations Coordinator is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its responsibilities as an employer and non-profit corporation through the development and management of internal controls and operational systems. Key responsibilities are to ensure compliance for personnel and governance policies and provide day-to-day personnel support to all staff members, including managing payroll, benefits, personnel requests, and hiring.
Compensation: Salaried at $50,000/year
Summary of benefits: $400/month ICHRA allocation; access to disability, dental, and vision insurance; $50/month cell phone or internet reimbursement; access to a pooled fund to support technology needs and professional development; paid holidays; accrual paid time off policy
Time Commitment: This is a salaried exempt full-time (32 hours per week) grant funded position being offered through December 2022, with intention of becoming permanent
Location: Remote; supply your own computer, phone, workspace
- Note: Due to COVID-19, this position is 100% remote right now. Once it is deemed safe and sound to return to in-person engagements, PACA will return to its normal operations, which involve a mix of remote and in-person work. Candidates must live in the Greater Philadelphia region or be willing to relocate here.
Anticipated Start Date: May 15, 2022
Guided by the principles of the international cooperative movement, the Philadelphia Area Cooperative Alliance’s (PACA) work includes both broad and customized education about the principles and benefits of participating in the cooperative economic movement as well as offering support to existing and start-up cooperatively owned businesses. PACA engages in this work while centering an equitable approach to co-op development for racial and economic justice.
PACA aims to grow a network of cooperative enterprises that operate in all sectors of the economy to build a better world—providing essential services, strengthening democratic organizations, creating quality jobs, building community wealth, reducing poverty, strengthening our local economy, protecting the environment, and increasing community engagement.
PACA is in a strategic planning moment, shifting our internal structures to enable more worker self-direction and reflect our cooperative values more deeply. We understand that roles, responsibilities, dynamics and expectations may be impacted by these shifts and affect us each differently. With consideration to that, this position will start as interim with the opportunity to become a permanent position after 2022 if there is a mutual desire and available funding.
Our ideal candidate will be prepared to self-direct their work and enthused to participate leaderfully in the overall management of the organization as a member of the Staff Collective.
The Philadelphia Area Cooperative Alliance (PACA) is an equal employment opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity.
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Summary: Coordinate and execute day-to-day operations of PACA in order to remain compliant and able to pursue PACA’s organizational mission.
- Maintain the organization’s annual nonprofit compliance by supporting the audit, taxes, organizational insurances, and internal controls
- Work with others to support the fiscal calendar and other reporting requirements
- Maintain the active Standard Operating Procedures for PACA
- Develop and support the organization's data management systems
- On a bi-weekly basis, manage payroll, paid time off requests, benefits, and stipend
- Support coordination, promotion, and/or attendance and staffing at PACA events
- Manage PACA’s remote mailbox by picking up mail, scanning important notices, and depositing checks
- Maintain correspondence for inquiries and information coming to PACA’s “info” email address; and other organizational email accounts
- Manage PACA’s phone lines and distribute messages to staff, as appropriate
- Manage internal organizational tech tools such as Slack, Trello, Google Suite, Toggle, Zapier, Grasshopper, etc
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Manage administration of PACA’s Principle Six (P6) monthly sustainer program, including coordinating donor communications and other activities for existing P6 members
Human Resources and Staff Collaboration
Summary: PACA is a non-profit cooperative that is actively transitioning our organizational culture to allow for more staff collaboration, cooperation, and autonomy. Within that context, PACA is committed to being an exemplary employer and is excited to work with someone who is excited to move us closer to that goal. The Operations Coordinator will:
- Carry out organizational assessments and collaborate with staff to develop evaluation processes for programs and strategies based on outcomes and alignment with PACA’s mission and values that sustain organizational well-being and staff satisfaction
- Coordinate PACA’s Hiring Circle and hiring process for PACA staff and interns
- Develop and update job descriptions, coordinate regular performance evaluations, and maintain human resource compliance in PACA practices
- Support a climate which attracts, motivates, and supports a diverse, collaborative staff
Summary: We have moved away from a singular executive director model and are using the staff collective to hold organizational leadership roles as we implement a horizontal management structure.
- Attend staff collective meetings and quarterly staff retreats
- Participate in collective fundraising efforts, annual participatory budgeting, and other core organization-sustaining activities
- Maintain understanding of PACA finances and responsibilities
- Support the coordination and operation of General Circle meetings
- Strong alignment with the mission, vision and values of PACA, and commitment to centering Black and Brown communities of the Philadelphia region
- Experience successfully developing and implementing member recruitment and retention strategies
- Experience with social group work including curriculum development, meeting facilitation and coordination, democratic decision-making, member orientation, and mediation
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated experience of written and oral presentation skills
- Sincere commitment to democratic collaboration and cooperation, with experience working in cooperatives and across multiple groups (staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters)
- Human resources training and/or certification preferred
- Experience operating a non-profit organization or cooperative enterprise
- High comfortability working in a virtual workplace and using tools such as trello, slack, and other applications
- Multilingual applicants encouraged